- This event has passed.
August 2, 2014| $7 - $10
Ijams will celebrate all things buggy with a fun-filled afternoon of creepy, crawly fun! Every hour, a new program will take visitors into a different corner of the insect world. One wristband provides access to all the fun.
- 4 pm: Cicada Tomat-uh– There are six species of cicada found in the Knoxville area. The best way to tell them apart is by the calls the males make from early July through Labor Day. This is the same time that tomatoes are ripening in the fields. But we’re not going to wait on ripe tomatoes, we’re going to learn about cicadas and eat fried green tomatoes. What fun!
- 5 pm: Aquatic Insects– Did you know that many flying insects spend the first part of their life underwater? Dragonflies, Damselflies, Mayflies and others are aquatic in their larval stage. We’ll gather up our dip nets and scoop in the pond to find these critters in their watery world.
- 6 pm: Edible Bugs– Looking for fun ways to “spice” up your favorite recipes? Then join us for a gastronomical tour of critter cuisine. We’ll explore the world of edible bugs and even taste a few bug-based treats.
- 7 pm: Dinner Break– Bring a picnic lunch and we’ll provide watermelon and ice cream- that is if you’re still hungry after eating all those bugs!
- 8 pm: Bug Night– Join us for a chance to catch bugs and show off their charms with some of Ijams’ own bug enthusiasts! We’ll be going out into the park to buggy stations to catch some critters and to bring ’em back alive to the visitor center for our Bug Beauty and Less-than-Beauty Contests. Bring a plastic container with a lid for each bug you want to put on display. No glass containers please.
The fee for this program is $7 for Ijams members and $10 for non-members. Children 2 and under are free. Please call (865) 577-4717, ext. 110 to register.